Congratulations to our 2021 winners
• 1st place violinist Sava Thurber (Carmen Fantasy)
• 2nd place pianist Jasmine Xi (Schumann Piano Concerto)
• 3rd place pianist Vincent Xaio (Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2)
Sava will perform the Carmen Fantasy by Pablo de Sarasate on November 6, 2021 at Plymouth State University.
Go back to our home page and you can watch short excerpts of Sava's audition.
Tickets to the performance will likely become available in August or September 2021.
LRSO's Twelfth Annual Student Concerto Competition and scholarship program is now closed.
Thank you to the students who dedicated their time and talent to the recorded audition process. Live Zoom auditions will take place on May 8, 2021.
The focus of this competition is to promote young classical musicians and encourage their musical advancement by providing an opportunity for them to rehearse and perform with a symphony orchestra. Hover over some recent winners below.
First prize is a $500 scholarship. Second and Third place winners will receive $300 and $200 scholarships respectively. The first place winner will perform with the LRSO during the 2021-2022 season. Please note: Due to the uncertainty surrounding Covid-19, we cannot guarantee the performance opportunity at this time. We remain optimistic however that by November 2021 the arts and social communities will be in a safe position to proceed, albeit with possible restrictions.
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2021
- The competition is open to New Hampshire students in grades 8-11 who play an orchestral instrument, including piano.
- The student will record and submit with their application a fast movement of a concerto from the standard orchestral repertoire, or similar.
- Students moving on to the in-person round of auditions will be notified by mid-March 2021, and live auditions will likely take place in early May 2021, either in-person or online.
- The winning soloist is expected to attend rehearsals on Monday evenings in late October / early November 2021 in preparation for the concert.
- The concert is typically held at Inter-Lakes Auditorium in Meredith, NH but we are coordinating with Plymouth State University to perform our November concert in Hanaway Theatre in the Silver Center at PSU. Exact concert date and location are TBD. Possible Covid-related outcomes are outlined in the application packet.
- Previous first-place winners of this LRSO competition are ineligible to compete in subsequent competitions.
If you have any questions, please contact:
LRSO Concerto Competition Coordinator
treblemakerdg (at) gmail.com